Welcome to Couples for Christ - Foundation for Family and Life East Contra Costa

The CFC Foundation for Family & Life is a gathering of concerned CFC brethren looking to the restoration, preservation and strengthening of the authentic Couples for Christ charism, focused on evangelization and family life renewal.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Daily Gospel

Monday, 28 April 2008

Monday of the Sixth week of Easter

Today the Church celebrates : St. Louis Mary Grignion, St. Peter Chanel

Saint Antony of Padua :

The Spirit of truth... will testify to me"


Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 15,26-27.16,1-4.

When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning. I have told you this so that you may not fall away. They will expel you from the synagogues; in fact, the hour is coming when everyone who kills you will think he is offering worship to God. They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me. I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you. "I did not tell you this from the beginning, because I was with you.


Commentary of the day :

Saint Antony of Padua (c.1195-1231), Franciscan, Doctor of the Church
Sermons

"The Spirit of truth... will testify to me"


The Holy Spirit is a «stream of fire» (Dn 7,10), a divine fire. As fire acts on iron so does this divine fire act on hearts that are soiled, cold and hard. When it comes into contact with this fire, the soul gradually loses its blackness, coldness, hardness. It is transformed entirely into the likeness of the fire with which it is enflamed. Since, if the Spirit is given to a man, if he is inspired by it, then it is so that he might be transformed into its likeness so far as possible. Beneath the action of this divine fire a man is purified, warmed and melted. He attains the love of God, as the apostle Paul says: «The love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit that has been given to us,» (Rom 5,5).

No comments: